Friday, February 22, 2008

Like Water for Nina

Upon awakening yesterday morning I immediately felt an unknown sadness and/or melancholy. I just couldn't figure these emotions out. But even stranger, I kept thinking to myself, "Nina, Nina, Nina." I therefore thought perhaps my dear friend and soul mate Nina Clemente was in need of my assistance. So I reached over and grabbed my mobile from the nightstand to send her a text message to check on her status. Never mind the three hour time difference, my dear friend could really need my help. But within seconds I received one of her humorous and upbeat messages proclaiming all was well and magnificent with her in LaLaLand and she was going back to sleep. I still can't for the life of me understand why any sane person would ever want to live in a place like Los Angeles. But I guess different strokes for different folks.

Malcolm and Nina C.

Then all of sudden as I lay in bed pondering my life’s work, as one does when deciding whether to stay in bed an extra 30 minutes or to spring out of it to face yet another New York City day, the answer to my query hit me like a ton of bricks. Today is Nina Simone's Birthday.

Happy Birthday Ms. Nina Simone


Now this might seem like a random bit of trivial information to have at one’s finger tips, but you must understand that Nina Simone has shaped a great deal of the human being that I am today. Especially the bits that scream REVOLUTION!!!

Above are photos from my September 2006 show's finale wherein I protested the lack of black models and designers during New York Fashion Week. At the time, I was declared a trouble maker and instigator by many in the business. Almost a year and a half later mainstream media and the fashion industry are finally starting to have a real discussion concerning this serious issue.

If you have been following CS&B you will note that great women have played a major role in forming Malcolm Harris as well as Mal Sirrah. Let’s face it, at the end of the day we are all simply bits and pieces of those that inspire us as well as those we despise (sad but true as they show us whom we don't want to become). For me, Nina Simone has been a major inspiration. The name Nina alone has been bestowed upon three of my greatest loves and influencers: Nina Simone, Nina Clemente and Nina Hirschfeld. I have never actually met the latter and my love for her has been lived vicariously via her father’s work, the famed caricature artist Al Hirschfeld.

Al Hirschfeld and his work - "note the Nina highlighted in red"


Historically Mr. Hirschfeld used to create these elaborate illustrations for the New York Times and would cleverly incorporate Nina’s name throughout his artwork. His caricatures (now created by his son after his passing) always remind me of being a little kid at the kitchen table watching my mother read The New York Times while I colored the Al Hirschfeld illustrations. I later grew up to own several of Mr. Hirschfeld’s illustrations purchased exclusively at the Margo Feiden Gallery here in New York City. But I digress…


Nina Simone - The High Priestess of Soul

Now back to Nina - Nina Simone that is… So last night, after a long hard day’s work, my boyfriend and I decided we would prepare a wonderful Spanish style dinner. It must have taken us at least two hours to complete all the grocery shopping and preparation for this anticipated festive feast. Then out of the blue I received a text message from a dear friend that had been given a last minute assignment to produce a segment for BET’s Black Carpet. The message read, “Meet me at the Canal Room – I have someone that is dying to meet you. Her name is Simone and she is performing tracks from her new album. She is Nina Simone’s daughter.”


Nina Simone and daughter (Simone)

I swear on all I love that at this very moment - time stopped. Now I don’t flatter myself by believing that Ms. Simone had any idea who I was before last night. However, I can assure you that my dear friend and supporter had built me up to Simone and her husband/manager as if I were the second coming of Christ in the world of fashion. That being said, I still allowed myself to be swept into one of those time freezing and surreal moments. It truly was like a scene from one of my favorite movies and novels, “Like Water for Chocolate”. All of the ingredients from the Spanish feast began to magically float around the kitchen while I frantically text messaged my friend the following, “That would be a dream come true. Leaving now. Be there in five minutes.” Luckily, I have just moved to downtown Manhattan and the Canal Room is literally a 10 minute walk away. However I knew with the right motivation I could do it in FIVE. I made it to the Canal Room in 7 minutes flat.

Recording Artist: SIMONE

You should have seen my frantic entrance. I was a complete mess (now this is your cue to send tons of comments about how I didn’t look so bad). However, I am sure I looked like Lucille Ball from one her famous kitchen scenes on reruns of “I Love Lucy”. There I was with flour all over my face, reeking of Adobo and Sofrito, wearing a ratty old American Apparel t-shirt and completely camouflaged in my favorite Yves Saint Laurent leather trench coat (circa Tom Ford). Yes, I was a fabulous mess, but a mess none the less.


Here I am posing in front of one my all time favorite Nina Simone photos which provided the ambiance for the evening.


By the time we made it inside of the venue (I say "we" as of course I dragged my poor boyfriend along) the show was just about to start. Actually the band was doing that cool warm-up thingy that bands do just before the artist hits the stage. I immediately caught the attention of my friend that had invited me and as repayment she forced me to do an impromptu red carpet interview (Oh how I dread signing that release). But before I could beat myself up for appearing on camera in such as state, I was overwhelmed by an amazing presence in the form of the lovely Simone.


SIMONE


I was speechless. I couldn’t move, I couldn’t think, I couldn't breathe, I couldn't do anything... Just the notion of knowing that this amazing woman held within her the torch and legacy of Nina Simone left me paralyzed. I immediately went back into my starring role in “Like Water for Chocolate” – spinning room, floating cocktails, visions of Nina. Luckily before my friend could make a formal introduction, Simone heard her cue from the band and made her elegant yet slightly dramatic way to the stage. Her movements were very un-Nina and much more Josephine Baker (avec Cheetah). In this weird synchronicity, Simone actually looks like the actress Lynn Whitfield who portrayed Josephine Baker some years ago. Remind me to one day tell you all about Lynn Whitfield’s amazing 16 year old daughter Grace Gibson (her late father, Brian Gibson, actually directed Lynn in her Golden Globe winning potrayal of Josephine Baker). Grace and I have become quite friendly over the past year and I am always encouraging this bright young torch bearer to follow her “own” path. But once again, I digress (I may have just segued into rambling)…


One of my favorite books and movies

Okay, where were we??? Oh yeah, me standing in the middle of a crowded room, “Like Water for Chocolate” and Simone. Got it. Good. I must tell you, Simone has the voice of an angel. Her voice is nothing at all like her mother’s voice - technically it is much better. But this is like comparing apples and oranges. It's sad to say, but I truly do believe that this great talent is not as celebrated due to the enormous legacy of her mother. It is perhaps a bit of the double edged sword that comes along with being the offspring of someone as famous and beloved as Nina Simone. That being said, Simone had no problem packing the Canal Room. Her eclectic crowd proved that she has a strong and loyal following. A crowd which oddly enough included Stephen Baldwin and Michael Lohan (Lindsay Lohan's father). According to her publicist they are both huge Simone fans. Let's simply file that one under "weird but true."

Stephen Baldwin and Simone

Michael Lohan and random chick (secretly he gives me the creeps)


Now here's the punch line. After all of the above, I never actually got to meet Simone. Part of the reason was that we were starving and wanted to get home to enjoy our Spanish feast (all evening I had a nagging feeling that I had left the stove on in my mad dash out - luckily I hadn't). Another reason for our premature departure being I was afraid that during my introduction I would turn into one of those gushing, slightly stalking, fans that scare celebrities into reclusion. However, I did have a chance to meet and chat with Simone's enthusiastic husband/manager (my friend must have really sold him a bill of goods) who said that both he and his wife would love to meet with me in the near future regarding some sort of fashion collaboration. Something about a limited edition Nina Simone inspired fashion collection… I immediately went back into a “Like Water for Chocolate” state and floated all the way home whilst the song "To be Young Gifted and Black" played in my head..


Nina Simone performs “Aint got no… I got my life” Harlem 1969 – This is truly the song that has moved me through the toughest times of my life… Thank you Nina…



Bonus Track - Nina performs for the first time "To be Young, Gifted and Black"

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Harris you always take us on such beautiful journeys. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

You must write a book. You design beautiful clothes, you inspire "real" people, and your words are poetic. Please write a book.

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful in the photo. Love the post.

Anonymous said...

reading your blog takes me to another world. thx

Maggie Betts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maggie Betts said...

Malcolm what an amazing read. I must agree with ChristopherK. When can we expect "the book" Mr. Harris? You must write a book - you owe us!

Anonymous said...

Love the look of the site. Sleek and cool.

Anonymous said...

If you wrote a book I would be the first in line.

Anonymous said...

I love Nina. Thanks for this post.

Anonymous said...

Now I know why I am your biggest fan - we both love Nina. YGB & Blond - you are too funny. Brilliant!