Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Passing of a Fashion Legend - KATOUCHA



Today I received a telephone call informing me that the legendary model Katoucha Naine had passed away in Paris, France. Unfortunately, I am sure that many of you have never heard of this modeling icon before. Therefore, please allow me to introduce to you the Guinean beauty simply known as - KATOUCHA.




Katoucha was a house model and muse for fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent for many years and paved the way for models such as Iman, Naomi, Tyra and many others. Katoucha also played a major role in my deciding to enter the fashion world and especially moving forward as an apprentice at the venerable house of YSL. Katoucha symbolized for me the real life version of Diana Ross in the movie "Mahogany" (she even at one point became a fashion designer with her own collection photographed below).




The last time I actually saw Katoucha was on the set of a photo shoot for Iman’s self entitled book - IMAN (remind me to post photos from this amazing shoot at a later date). It was truly a hysterical moment and the memories of this day will forever be imprinted in my heart and soul.




The sadness of her passing will not allow me to continue with today's post. However, I will leave you with this amazing video of Katoucha from French television (France 2) in which she speaks of her controversal biography Dans Ma Chair (In My Skin)... Even if you don't speak or understand French, Katoucha's elegance, poise and passion translates like an Italian performance of La Boheme.

Ladies and gentleman, I give to you - KATOUCHA

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Malcolm thank you so much for introducing me and the world to this beautiful woman. My sympathy goes out to her family and friends.

Anonymous said...

Yes ! we have photos of her in our office. She will ne missed.
Malcolm dont forget about my boss and I , we are super interested in your new collection. thanx a bunch

Anonymous said...

Malcom I love Cut,Sew,Blog so much. I share it with all my friends. You inspire us all.

Anonymous said...

My name is Joy Ibiayo, an ex fashion model and currently a singer/songwriter and very good friend of Katoucha. I am shell shocked to hear of this tragedy, she was one of the most beautiful women, I have had the pleasure of knowing.... she will be sadly missed! May her soul rest in Peace!

All my sympathy to her family!

Joyx

Anonymous said...

Malcolm you have once again touched us all by sharing your journey. Please never stop.

My sympathy to her family and friends.

Anonymous said...

Last year in December I was on a business trip in Senegal. I visited Goree island in my free day and noticed a tall elegant beautiful woman with almond eyes. i simply could NOT stop staring. I knew her form somewhere. I though "she looks so much like Katoucha" and it was indeed. Folk were coming to her for her autograph and she nobly acquiesced.I too am hurt by this news, i just finished her book. I knew her face because i used to notice her beauty when featured in Ebony and ESsence magazine haute couture pages. Peul beauty indeed. Bless u Katoucha wherever u are. God be merciful.

Anonymous said...

Her body was found:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080229/ap_en_ot/france_dead_model_3