Friday, December 14, 2007

"The Old Razzle Dazzle"

A few weeks ago, I featured one of my young fashion friends and colleagues Esteban Cortizar here on Cut, Sew and Blog (Colleagues not Competitors). I have known Esteban since he was 14 years old and he has always been pure talent and sunshine. So to see his name splattered across the pages of various blogs for the past week in such a hardcore way, I was forced to write today’s post.



Recently, as many of you fashionistas may know, Esteban was appointed as the head designer of the legendary house of Emanuel Ungaro. Good news right… Well not according to most… Never before have I seen an appointment of a designer make such a stir. The barrage of negativity coming towards this young 23 year old “creative” seems to be almost unbearable. With all the recent appointments that seem to make less sense than this one, I don’t know why this young kid has to bear the lion’s share of the industry’s frustration.

I will admit when I first heard of Esteban’s appointment, I too slightly scratch my head. wasn’t shocked by his tender age, nor if this was a perfect fit - - - my shock came from the fact that I knew first hand how many other designers had been approached regarding this position and they had all undoubtedly turned it down. But in no way did I believe Esteban’s appointment to be a negative thing. What did they want him to do? Turn it down… He’s 23 for crying out loud… This is the time he should feel invincible and not defeated because the industry is simply frustrated.



The one thing we all know is the fashion industry is screaming for change… The industry is simply screaming for newness - - - and not the run of the mill newness that comes from yet another wunderkind or a new “shocking” appointment to a major fashion house… The industry is screaming for a new plan, a new future, a new way of making this tired old wheel spin… But once again instead of picking up the gauntlet and challenging the industry to really step up to the plate by coming up with something original - - - what do we do??? We once again give the world the same old Razzle Dazzle…



Fortunately, Cathy Horyn of The New York Times, was spot-on in her recent blog post. She too agrees that if the industry wants to do something bold, it needs to develop a new strategy – a forward way of looking at the globalization of fashion… This is why I believe we are all so fortunate to be in the fashion industry at this present moment – globalization.




I can’t wait for the world to see Harris Group International as we begin to truly roll out our plan… I can promise you all this – The HGI / Mal Sirrah, Inc. plan is bold, courageous, forward and ambitious… I can also assure you that it will put the industry’s old “Razzle Dazzle” to “Fizzle Dizzle" - for sho my "Nizzle" (sorry, I just couldn't resist the Snoopism)…

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Well, come globalizing my way! You'll make me very happy =)

Anonymous said...

I am very excited to see how esteban will re define the Ungaro woman! Let the naysayers nay...they will be turncoats as soon as someone bigger than them says he is major....regardless we should all support the young,talented and mature designer!!!

Anonymous said...

I am very excited to see how esteban will re define the Ungaro woman! Let the naysayers nay...they will be turncoats as soon as someone bigger than them says he is major....regardless we should all support the young,talented and mature designer!!!

Anonymous said...

I am a very close friend of Esteban Cortizar and I must say that after reading your post, you are as wonderful as Esteban has described. Mr. Harris thank you so much for being an inspiration not only to Esteban but to young fashionistas like myself.

Anonymous said...

Mal, I love stopping by your blog - it is always interesting, informative and entertaining. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Wow - do you get it. You really get it.