Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Mal Sirrah's Inspiration and Fashion Flashback

Today I found myself day dreaming and being moved through time by two of my favorite style influencers and fashion doppelgangers - Malcolm Mclaren and Catherine Deneuve (former muse to Yves Saint Laurent). These two ghostly figures shadow me around every New York City and Paris street corner. There are often times when I can hear my namesake's "give'em hell whispers". While I am truly a collective of all the artists that I believe have paved the way, I must admit that I am void of all nostalgia. I am simply committed and compelled to forge forward where they left off. (I truly hope that all of my aspiring designers that email me on a regular basis are truly getting the real message here - - - A fashion designer's collection is simply a "collective" of his or her's inspirations, dreams and influences held together by materials and craftsmanship. Everything after that is the business of fashion.)

Once you click the following video you will know exactly where I was transported for the majority of my work day. I hope that it's viewing does the same for you!!!


Malcolm Mclaren's album referenced above guided me through my "return to fashion collection" as reviewed below by "The French Review" in this Mal Sirrah fashion flashback:

By: Jean Paul Cauvin
Illustration by: Julien Fournié

Mal Sirrah Spring 2006: Delicate Girls in Harlem

NEW YORK, Sep 8, 2005 - Believe it or not, the very first show for this Spring 2006 season took place in a Harlem mansion, a somewhat unusual venue, but really fresh surprise.

You certainly remember Katsumi and Malcolm, a label formerly designed in Manhattan and now headquartered in Tokyo. Well, Malcolm Harris, who has been designing both ready-to-wear and made-to-order pieces for more than ten years is the same Malcolm as in Katsumi and Malcolm, just as in Mal Sirrah. He has just dropped the second syllable in his first name and spelt his surname backwards for this new solo project.

Cool wasabi green, whispering canary yellow and antique rose are the tones for this collection which focuses on the urge to regain calm via color.

This color therapy complements very well the research for true simplicity that the designer seems to have undertaken in a very sincere way, trying to fight the blatant turmoil and heightened volume of today’s world with a wardrobe designed to reveal the delicate girl inside, her fragile tenderness and her soft charm.

Gingham or crinkled silks, sometimes very finely pinstriped, sometimes sequined with craft, are interpreted in short dresses, jackets and shorts. These refined pieces, especially in their structure, give an overall Impression of simplicity that is the sign for a truly mature design. A light mint organdy overlay comes in nicely on a tuxedo shirt inspired shift dress, a sleeveless tee-shirt is happily valanced on the shoulders, a very short charmeuse dress worn under a short silk trench reveals a contrasted length in the back.

Inspired by the sixties’ looks, Malcolm Sirrah reinterprets clothes for today, showing much personality and pertinence. Although Mr. Harris likes to describe his pseudonym as an “alter ego”, Mal Sirrah could well be just a rosebud that will astonish and enchant when it becomes a mature flower.

The soothing wooden décor together with the smell of real white lilacs in which this presentation was set, tuned by refined Malcolm McLaren music are the atmosphere and the very place where Mal Sirrah is working and growing.

In this setting and dispositions who could be surprised that Mal Sirrah’s future will be both successful and astonishing?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mal,

Who is Malcolm McLaren? Why is he such an inspiration? What does he have to do with fashion?

Anonymous said...

Malcolm McLaren Rules. Glad to see some people still acknowledge true visionaries. You are too awesome Mal.

Anonymous said...

You constantly amaze me. Thanks for transporting me to Paris today. I needed the trip! Malcolm Mclaren is a genius.

Anonymous said...

Just found your site thru Glam.Com
YOU NOW HAVE A NEW FAN FOR LIFE!