Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pardon the Ecru Elephant in the Room...

Today, I witnessed perhaps one of the most important and moving speeches that I have heard to date regarding the “race” (no pun intended) for President of the United States from Senator Barack Obama. Now that we have finally put the spotlight on the ecru elephant in the room – “Where do we go from here?”



Barack Obama Philadelphia Speech on Race Part 1/4

As an African-American working in the fashion industry, I often find myself feeling many of the frustrations that Senator Obama voiced during his speech today. For fear of being accused of playing the “race card”, I am forced not to bring the issue of race into my daily dealings within the fragile and sensitive fashion industry. But as we all know, this finely decorated elephant has always been planted firmly on the catwalks and within the glossy pages of our favorite magazines. However, in fashion we have simply found the perfect shades of aubergine and/or ecru to camouflage racism’s glaring existence.



Barack Obama Philadelphia Speech on Race Part 2/4

I truly do thank the universe for allowing us all to be present for this very important time in the history of our country as well as the future landscaping of the world. It’s funny I never imagined I would find myself spending four hours today attempting to design the perfect “modern” shift dress, two hours rescheduling a planned trip to Tibet with a documentary filmmaker and the next three hours calling and emailing colleagues and friends encouraging them to vote for Obama.




Barack Obama Philadelphia Speech on Race Part 3/4

I also find it odd that almost a week ago I felt the need to celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King as I strolled through New York City enjoying all the freedoms that his generation’s struggles and battles now afford me as an artist and proud American… Today I celebrate the man that I truly do believe has the vision and ability to make Dr. King’s dream a reality for future generations as we move forward in finally becoming the “United States of America”. Senator Barack Obama!!!


Barack Obama Philadelphia Speech on Race Part 4/4

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AS A MIXED-RACED MAN, I MYSELF TOO EXPERIENCED AND STILL AM EXPERIENCING ALL OF WHAT BARACK SPOKE OF IN HIS BRILLIANT SPEECH. HE ALMOST HAD ME IN TEARS WHEN HE SPOKE OF HOW HIS GRANDMOTHER WOULD MAKE RACIST COMMENTS ABOUT ANOTHER ETHNICITY THAT HE IS APART OF! I DON'T THINK ANYONE ELSE COULD HAVE DELIVERED THIS SPEECH AS BARACK OBAMA DID ON MARCH 18, 2008.

Anonymous said...

mal you make me proud

Anonymous said...

For some reason as I watched the Obama speech yesterday, I immediately thought of your blog. I was pleasantly surprised to find today's post. You too are the dream Mr. Harris.

Maggie Betts said...

Mal, I know how delicate race of a subject race can be in the fashion industry. Often people tip toe around matters of race around me all the time as one of the few African-Americans in my circle. It saddens me to know that we still haven't found a way as a country to move past race some 40 odd years after Dr. King's "I have a dream speech".