Thursday, June 26, 2008

Happy "Faggoting" Weekend !!!


In honor of gay pride week, I thought I would share with you one of my favorite sewing technique in the world – "FAGGOTING".

Faggoting technique as used in a garment's trim

If you are laughing at the name, don’t feel bad. During my days at F.I.T. whenever our professor mentioned the technique “faggoting” every single person in the class - straight, gay or bi - would each put their head down and silently crackup. Unfortunately, I had the great fortune of sitting next to one of the biggest flames on campus and whenever he heard someone use the term “faggoting” he would always yell out in his queenliest voice “Okkaayy!” (feel free to put the voice of your favorite gay in this spot – Okkaayy!!!)



My Favorite Gay - Ms. Jay Alexander

Well faggoting for those of you who are not familiar with the term is a very old technique used to hold two pieces of a garment together revealing a decorative stitch/space between the seams of a blouse, skirt, dress, etc.


However, a great number of you may have become accustomed to seeing it within the seams of collections belonging to fashion craftsman such as John Galliano, Alexander McQueen and one of my all-time favorites Antonio Berardi. I often experiment with this technique myself unfortunately I have yet to find a way to make this extremely delicate technique truly hold-up under the stress of a modern woman’s everyday lifestyle.


Note the beautiful “faggoting” technique Antonio used at the waist of this amazing dress

I will admit that Antonio has perhaps come the closest of modern designers to perfecting this decorative technique with his use of elastic at the seams however most of these pieces still haven’t been able to withstand the true test of time. Unfortunately, I have witnessed some of these faggoting techniques from several designers becoming undone before they ever leave the selling floor at Barneys… And imagine this is just from the basic wear and tear of trying them on. I am continuously attempting to find ways to perfect a great number of charming and delightful old-school techniques to suit the needs of my modern and active clients as well as creating new techniques to move not only fashion but practical design forward. I truly believe that it is my job and responsibility not only to provide my customer base with beautiful clothes but most importantly to provide them with timeless and quality clothes that will last for generations.

Okay, that’s enough of me for today… Let’s all promise to meet up here tomorrow at the same time, same place…

Happy Gay Pride Weekend!!! For those of you who don’t know “we gays” get the weekend started from Thursday. If you don’t’ believe me simply note all the red-eyed / hung-over gays in the office tomorrow…



Must see video - the gayest music video ever made!!!

No comments: