Monday, June 16, 2008

Let's Get Inspired - Ballets Russes

Occasionally I will take the liberty of giving you all a little sneak peak into what I am using for inspiration these days via film, music, art, etc. I think it is pretty clear where I stand politically these days (OBAMA) so we can skip this for now!!! But I think this will be quite a little fun exercise in showing Cut, Sew and Blog visitors what goes on in the mind and dreams of a fashion designer. What’s great about this is that all of you can help me out as well… I am extremely interested in knowing what you are all watching and listening to in your own inspirational journeys. So please send me emails or leave me comments to let me know what’s been tickling your fancy these days.

Okay, let’s get started… The first installation of "Let's Get Inspired" is a documentary that I have been attempting to rent for the past two if not three years years, but for a long time Netflix didn’t have it and it didn’t seem to be available through the normal outlets. But recently I did a search for this documentary and it popped up available on good-old Netflix. I should be receiving my copy in two days and find myself very excited about its arrival. The documentary is entitled “Ballets Russe”.



In breif, the legendary Ballets Russes troupe gave Russian dancers who were never allowed to grace the stage in their home country a chance to shine, especially in the 1930s and '40s, when the company achieved worldwide renown. But even as early as the 1900s, it had been a showcase for such big-name talents as George Balanchine (style icon) and Vaslav Nijinsky. When the '50s hit, though, the enchantment began to fade in the harsh light of fiscal realities.



Original Costumes from the Ballets Russes

I believe designers and artisans for many decades have been drawn to the glamour and elegance of the Ballets Russes for many reasons greater than the obviously beautiful costumes and stage scenery - - I believe the core attraction stems from the struggle, perseverance and dedication of the company’s dancers. Just check out the snippet below and you will see the same youthful exuberance and determination in the Ballets Russes' dancers (all of which have aged gracefully) that continues to inspire generations of creatives all over the world.


No comments: