Monday, October 20, 2008

The dreaded F-Word



I know it has been a very long time since I’ve used the F-Word… No, not FUCK… I have no problem with using that particular F-word… I’m talking about “FASHION.”

I will admit I have spent the lion’s share of the summer obsessing over the election, in particular Barack Obama. As you may have noticed there have been weeks where I haven’t even been able to bring myself to mentioning the F-word… I have felt almost guilty when I would find myself chatting about fashion in the face of the serious nature of this election and our current economic woes. I think to discuss fashion at this moment is almost unpatriotic. Now I know some people might be saying, “But don’t most designers find a way to interpret the turmoil and political process in their creative process…” Well, some do, but not me. I have come to enjoy my mental disorders and for me, they require my full attention, dedication and devotion. Via my some professional but mostly my own self-diagnosis, I have figured out that I have AADD with an acute onset of OCD. In other words, I am all f’d up…

But today, feels like a special day… One of those days when the market seems to be doing okay, Barack is enjoying a comfortable lead and a major endorsement (not enough of a lead for us to get lazy) and the sun and wind here in New York City seemed to have struck an amazing deal. Therefore, I am ready to talk “fashion.”

Fashion sucks! Is it the economy, the election or what that seems to have drained the entire fashion industry their balls! Come on people! What the “F” is going on… I take a little break to assure that a brother stands a fighting chance of becoming the next President of the United States, and all of my colleagues seem to have put up gone fishing signs for the season. Instead of my normal rant, I will show a bit of restraint by not calling out any of my fellow designers on their lack of boldness during these trying times… I will not question the wunderkind Zac Posen on his flat, risk-free collection or Philip Lim about his dry-as-paint runway presentation or even the young and beautiful fairy, Erin Fetherston regarding her regurgitated fashion of fancy. Instead I will focus on my obvious absence from the New York fashion scene.

According to the fashion industry the above represent the best... Anything missing???


My explanation in a nutshell is simple… First I must focus on placing an African-American man in the white-house and then I will focus on putting an African-American man on the catwalks of New York City (just in case no one has noticed - we still haven’t been able to rectify this situation under the white tents of Bryant Park). But for now “F” Fashion!

You must see this video, it is the funniest F-Word video I have ever seen…


1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I was in school my teacher always said to us anyone that needs to use the F word is lacking in vocabulary, I think she was wrong!!!!!!!!!!!