Monday, October 13, 2008

Purple is the New Black



On Friday evening, yours truly was invited to a front row and extremely intimate performance by none other than Prince. Now, I will be the first to admit I am not a huge Prince fan, as growing up I was “Team Michael” all the way. However, after Friday night’s performance, I can proudly say, “Prince has kicked Michael’s royal ass!”

What an amazing performance! Instead of donning one of his usual purple lace ensembles, Prince actually looked very chic and sleek. At one point I said to myself, “This dude is 50 fucken years old and he still looks amazing!” All it took was one look at Prince prancing across the stage for me to realize “Purple is definitely the new Black”.



The only problem I have with Prince actually has very little to do with Prince himself. My problem with Prince however has all to do with his die hard fans. What a bunch of psychos! Most of these people are absolutely certifiable. I know this is not a nice thing to say as one of my closest friends (my brother from another mother), Jacques, actually is the biggest Prince fan on the planet. And strangely enough he has a million dollar memorabilia collection to prove it.


You see this dear friend happens to live on the Upper East Side in perhaps one of the swankiest addresses in the 1-0-0-2-1. But please do not let the zip code or uptight building fool you… My friend Jacques is perhaps one of the coolest dudes to ever cross the pond. Within his tastefully decorated apartment his wonderful wife, Camille, has been gracious enough to allocate Monsieur Jacques with his own little private room. Instead of turning this room into a “mini-frat house” like most of my married straight male friends, Jacques has instead opted to turn his kids/wife free zone into something quite unique – “A Prince Shrine” (alter included).


This room is completely comprised of items previously owned by the Purple One himself. Upon entering this room you immediately begin to wonder if this brilliant husband, father and friend might not be ready for a Cindy McCain prescription cocktail. Honestly this room, which is the size of an average NYC apartment, is covered in Prince’s original guitars, shoes, costumes, gold records, microphones and even an original doodling of Purple Rain and Little Red Corvette. I refer to it as the “The Purple Cave.” But to be completely honest, this room “freaks me the fuck out!” I often leave this room wondering one thing, “Who is the real Jacques?”


An I-Phone photo of Jacques "kinda-sorta" recently meeting Barack Obama - Hysterical!!!

But all it takes is one look at Jacques’ face light up when we are out on the town and a Prince record happens to hit the turntables. It’s magical and infectious... I will admit most of the time I too find myself dancing around like a Purple Fool. So just imagine my surprise, peppered with a bit of hesitation, when Jacques invited me to join him at the Gansevoort Hotel in the Meatpacking District after spending a week solving riddles and deciphering clues leading up to Friday night’s intimate concert for 200 die-hard Prince fans and celebrities.




The crowd included Anderson Cooper (avec boy-toy), Dave Chapelle, Spike Lee, Dennis Rodman, Tom Greene and many others sequestered in private viewing areas etc. But of course, Jacques and I had the best seats in town – front row, center stage. We were so close, I could have pinched Prince on his tiny little ass. There were several points within the concert I had visions (a la Allie McBeal) of picking him up and putting him in my pocket, sort of like a “Mini-Prince Ipod.” I could imagine showing up to parties or restaurants and taking him out to perform for me and my intimate circle of friends and simple slipping him back inside of my pocket to be recharged. Come on now, you must admit that would be pretty damned cool. But for now, I will simply settle for the memories of witnessing one of the most amazing concerts of my life as well as being close enough to Prince to pinch his tiny little mini-Ipod ass.



My personal favorite Prince song and video - "Pop Life"

No comments: