Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Dreaded Rope

Sorry for such a late post, but it took me quite a while to recover from last night’s Paper Magazine and Converse party hosted by Pharrell Williams (N.E.R.D.S.) and dubbed “Sounds Like Paper”.


I was a little reluctant about going to this party as we all know how crazy the “velvet rope” can be for these high profile events. Usually there is some snotty door person or even worse, some poor intern plopped in front of these random venues armed with their attitude, a clipboard and a big group of goons posing as security. So needless to say, yours truly, was not in the mood.

The dreaded "Velvet Rope"


However after my boyfriend (Tyson) and I finished our delicious salmon, broccoli and mashed potato dinner (a dinner I make at least twice a week), we looked at one another and at the same time and asked, “Why not?” So off we went to check out the world of Paper Magazine and the N.E.R.D.S.

The chaos in front of the venue (Santo's Partyhouse)


Of course, my worst fears were realized. Tyson and I could see the crowd from two blocks away, but as we had already walked the 10 blocks from our apartment, we figured that two more blocks wouldn’t kill us. I just had to hope and pray that someone at the door would recognize either of us and drag us beyond the velvet rope. As you all know, I have no delusions when it comes to my ranking on the fashion food chain.

As you can see they still can't even spell my name correctly - Mel Sirrah... At least I have graduated from the title of "guest" or "and friend"


Therefore, very rarely do I get the partying of the Red Sea effect you see when wildly popular and/or famous people approach the door to an event or club. I am usually left at the mercy of truly savvy publicists and/or fashionistas that are interested in young and/or emerging designers and recognize me from there dedicated research of what or who is next in fashion. Thank God there was such an angel in the form of the beautiful Lysee who is now working in the public relations department of Paper Mag after leaving the now defunct downtown design duo, Heatherette. You have no idea how much I hated to see these young guys go under – the death of a young design company is like the death of an entire colony of inspiration. But I digress…


Once we finally made it inside I will admit the party was absolutely brilliant. This combination of fashion factions from Paper Magazine, Converse and the N.E.R.D.S., each very distinctive and original, was like a creative smorgasbord. With the free Sky vodka flowing and all of my wonderful friends in place (Chanel Iman, Andre J, Bevy Smith, and a host of others – click here to see the photos on Paper Magazine’s website) the evening was quite magical and well worth the few minutes of hassle to get past the “velvet rope”.

Check out the video that Pharrell Produced for the new Converse ad campaign:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how much I love your blog. As a person that works in fashion, I can always come here to get the "real deal". Thank you.