Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Fabulous Flashback - 1990

This morning I could hardly pull myself out of bed as all night I was bombarded with Fabulous Flashbacks and Naughty Nightmares of the year 1990... This is what I remembered...




- Fear of the United States going into war (one year later we entered the Gulf War)


- Clubs: Sound Factory vs Tracks vs Tunnel

- Deciding if I should stick to wearing Jean Paul Gaultier or give into my secret obsession for the more conservative Yves Saint Laurent - Gaultier actually ruled the early 90's!

(Photo above of yours truly circa 1990-91 courtesy of Bill Cunningham)


- The House of Xtravaganza (I was known as Malcolm X) - the original house of Vogue


- Hubble Space Telescope being placed into Orbit (I never knew why this was such a big deal)


- An obsession with sushi which lead to some sort of weird mercury imbalance


- Deciding that maybe I should give up fashion and begin a more serious career (I worked for one year as an "actuary" for Lloyd's of London - the worse job ever)



- Madonna's The Blonde Ambition Tour


- My best friend Katsumi and I moving from a small downtown 2 bedroom apartment into a Penthouse at 83rd and 3rd Avenue (I felt like George Jefferson - "moving on up")


- The passing of my dear friend - artist Keith Haring




- We had just started hearing about this man from Arkansas that wanted to be President named Bill Clinton


- Formally meeting Madonna who couldn't stop talking about politics and sex (I remember initially not liking her because I thought she was too bossy and too short)


- Most of all what I remember from 1990 was a feeling of being young and invincible even though everyone around me in the fashion, entertainment and art worlds were dying from AIDS, but for some reason I knew that I would be spared to tell and share their stories.





- Madonna and my two best friends of 1990 Jose and Louis Xtravaganza - Rock the Vote

In all fairness, 1990 was truly all about Ms. Madonna - no matter how much we hate to admit it...

No comments: