Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Colleagues NOT Competitors

Today I would like to use Cut, Sew and Blog to diffuse the old myth that designers don’t really get along and/or support one another. If I am forced to sit through another interview with a reporter digging for dirt on why most designers appear to be these self-absorbed, egotistical and fiercely competitive characters/caricatures, I think I will just scream. Of course it comes with the condescending disclaimer, “But of course you’re different.” (To all of my "folks" - How many times have we heard that one before???) Now I will be the first to admit, there are a few designers that believe, as my dear old grandmother would say, "That they are better than everyone and were put on the planet to piss and s**t gold" (I bet you never heard that one before - Annie Bryant was an original); but those are simply the designers that are afraid of their own power or lack thereof…


With the onslaught of every A,B,C and D List celebrity launching a clothing line - - - it is not only prudent that “professional” designers unite and become colleagues and not competitors; it is an absolute matter of survival. If not, we can all prepare to see an army of women wearing Paula Abdul inspired (not designed) twin sets complete with epaulettes, suspenders and bowler hats.

With this in mind, I have decided to periodically feature other designers that I personally admire and believe have the stuff to make huge names and careers for themselves. These featured designers I believe will lead the fashion industry out of the darkness and towards the light. This periodic post will be called “Colleagues NOT Competitors”… I will also count on each of you to recommend emerging designers that you believe also have “the stuff”…

Today, I would like to feature the following emerging designers and recommend you check out their websites:




Tori Nichel (www.torinichel.com)

I recently met Tori Nichel when she participated as the “newbie” in our Designers for Darfur presentation in February 2007. I felt this was my duty to showcase this very special designer and have her share the runway with the designers such as Donna Karan, Catherine Malndrino and Diane Von Furstenberg as I believe she has the stuff to eventually be listed amongst these greats. Tori actually designs the most beautiful dresses and separates that I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. To complete the package, Tori is truly one of the sweetest people in the business and something tells me she will remain just as sweet as her star rises.

Esteban Cortazar (http://www.estebancortazar.com/)

The wunderkind is now all grown up and preparing to relaunch his beautiful Esteban Cortazar collection. I originally met Esteban down in Miami when he was only 14 years old. I can still remember Madonna and her BFF Ingrid waxing on and on about this wonderful little kid that I just had to meet. In my mind I was thinking “Will these two shut up already…. Why in God’s name would I want to meet a yappy little 14 year old kid.” When I finally met Esteban whilst hanging out with designer and friend, Todd Oldham, I immediately fell in love with this adorable little wunderkind. I recently ran into Esteban whilst having brunch at Pastis and it was a complete shock - the cute little kid was now a beautiful young man -inside and out – and so are his beautiful creations.

Zulema Griffin (http://www.zulemagriffin.com/)

Zulema Griffin and I met many years ago when I was the co-designer of my first label, Katsumi & Malcolm. Zulema was a beautiful model with the presence of an African Queen… I actually ran into Zulema during the summer she was filming “Project Runway” at Daytona Trimming and she whispered to me, “Can’t talk about it now, but I am on one of those reality TV shows.” I didn’t have the heart to tell her that Heidi and I were friends and was already well aware of her participation on the show. Zulema Griffin still has the presence of an African Queen and the talent to become an American Classic.


I beg of all my fellow fashion designers to put down your guns (in this case your scissors, needles, and French-Curves) and unite!!! The next generation is depending on us all...

8 comments:

Dez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WendyB said...

Great new designers!

Anonymous said...

This post is truly a great testimony of your courage and committment to moving fashion forward. Kudos to you!

xx.e said...

You truly must be a wonderful person; you already are a fab designer!!

Chanel (nbr5) said...

What a wonderful giving spirit you have! And I agree with fashionbabe, everything she said is absolutely true...

Hopefully, I'll be a "Colleague, but never a competitor" real soon!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is W0W. Your heart will be a light for others to follow.

Anonymous said...

may karma follow you to your success.

Anonymous said...

Great selection of designers. And yes Tori is a sweetie and uber talented, and I really think she will stay that way as she rises.