Wednesday, September 26, 2007

From Russia With Love





Firstly, I must say that when I started writing this blog, I had no idea what I was getting myself into... What I thought would be a simple way of allowing my client base an inside look into my everyday goings-on has turned into a daily testimonial / journal. The only difference is that it is now being shared around the world... Not until I received the following email from a Russian journalist (Olga) did I fully grasp Cut, Sew and Blog's impact and/or reach...


"Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for writing such an awesome blog. I'm happy that I found it and had a chance to read it. You are such a talented and natural writer, some people don't master writing to such a degree even after years of education in journalism and working for magazines. Your writing is so exclusive and full of amazing details and insights. It's invaluable for those interested in the internal workings of the fashion world. I mean, it's really awesome to see a talented designer being such a talented writer too.

I'm a journalist from Moscow, Russia. I work for central Russian mass media, as well as internationally for American and British press. Ialso write a fashion blog just for fun, it's called Fashionably Cute and it's about kawaii and Japanese things in fashion. Do you mind if I turn to you once in a while for comments and/orinsights about the fashion industry and about your own fashion line?

I think what you've said about the lack of exposure for African-American designer is entirely true. I love when people of allr aces get a chance to break through, tell their story and show their talent to the world. I also think that there is a considerable lack of African-American models on the runway during the fashion weeks, and in print in the top fashion glossies. We all want to see fresh faces, and girls like Chanel Iman are beautiful.

I have to say that the problem of racism is incredibly acute in Russia. I'm really ashamed that I live in a country where there are fascist groups operating in broad daylight in the 21st century. Somep eople are afraid to go out of their house, that doesn't include only black people, but ethnically Jewish, Korean, Armenian, Georgianpeople. There have been numerous cases of attacks on people on the streets and on the subway. I'm happy though that Russian TV has been including more and more African-Russian people into movies and shows and that the government doesn't show any discrimination towards any race or ethnicity, whereas during the Soviet times and before the Revolution in the 1917 there was the official governmental policy ofd iscrimination, when whole ethnic groups like Jewish or Korean were relocated to distant barren lands of Siberia or Kazakhstan, because they were "potentially dangerous" for having their "historical motherland" outside Russia and thus having a "high potential for treason".

Well, I hope my ramblings haven't bored you. Hope to hear from you. Wishing you well and lots of luck in everything you do.

Best wishes,

Olga"




What Olga doesn't know is that I actaully have a certain affinity towards all things Russian:


- Of course, Russian Caviar and Vodka - (Don't judge - it's simply part of Gay Culture 101)




- Russia has als provided me with my favorite tragic love story (The Last Czar and his Imperial Family):



"They were a happy, close family, which had a very great interest of animals, specially pets, for instance Alixis had an elephant in the palace park, Nicholas had a parrot in his bathroom, Anastasia had a mouse that lived in the palace walls, Tatiana had a bulldog named Ortino, Olga had a cat named Vaska and the Empress Alexandra had a great number of dogs but especially loved her Borzoi."


- One of my favorite Russian models and personal friends Yulia Vasltsova. Julia has been with us since we opened the doors of Mal Sirrah:



Julia in Mal Sirrah Spring/Summer 2006



Julia in Mal Sirrah Fall/Winter 2007


- And last but not least my favorite Russian import.... My pride and joy - - - My "Borzoi" (Russian Wolfhound) named HARLEM!!! There will be many posts on Cut, Sew and Blog that will surround my little Harlem - so please stay tuned... I just love that dog....


Harlem at 4 months old




Harlem now at 14 months old


By the way, if you have any pet photos please send them in to me and I will feature them on the blog... I love pet's and perhaps this is why also adore the story of the Last Czar and his Imperial Family (minus the whole lining them up and shooting them dead thing - - - not to mention the fact the Czar was a very evil man that shouldn't be idolized in the least - - - I just loved the romantic bits about this eccentric group of people)...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mal,

I wish you know how hooked my colleagues are to your blog. We work at Style.com and are constantly spreading the word. You are the future of fashion.

StyleGirl

riz said...

you are you are...i am so happy that you received a letter like that. it's just nice to see such a cosmopolitan perspective. i mean isn't that what fashion is supposed to be about - a kind of social cosmopolitanism that advocates the breaking down of those (ridiculous) barriers

Shirlene Alusa-Brown said...

I love what you are doing. My passion is to highlight Africans in Design and who are modeling. We are featuring these people on our online publication, Jamati Online. Visit our style section sometime.

Shirlene Alusa-Brown
Editor-In-Chief
Jamati Online
http://www.jamati.com
alusabrown@jamati.com

R. Lynn Shell said...

Got a Google alert to your blog because of your Borzoi!! I also have Borzoi and enjoy reading about them all over - so I will have to check back in every once in a while for Harlem stories!

RLynn
Gryffyn's Aeyrie

Anonymous said...

How is possible that a designer could be so gifted with verse as well as style. I worship you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for restoring my belief in the world of fashion - I'm your number one fan