Monday, September 24, 2007

Procrastination, Fear or Bloggers Block???



Can you believe it??? It hasn’t been a full two weeks and already I am suffering from writer’s block's first cousin - Blogger’s Block… HELP!!!

How could this be possible??? ME!!! The dude that just doesn’t know when to stop writing. The dude that turned a snippet format of communicating into a daily mini-series. I am ruined !!! I am a blogging fraud!!! HELP!!!

How did this happen? Was it the fact that I had an uneventful weekend? I should have gone out more this weekend and not spent so much time in front of the computer. Or was it the hours that I spent at the sewing machine while also watching re-runs of Sex and the City. Should I have been writing instead of designing??? But I am a fashion designer – first and foremost??? Or could it have stemmed from an interview I recently gave and read on Saturday morning in which the writer wrote:

“The result (of cut sew and blog) is a sometimes raw, often meandering and occasionally uncomfortable peek into Malcolm's world. But, it makes for a compelling read and his internet strategy is ambitious, thoughtful, and distinctive.”

Could it have been the use of the word “meandering”? Not really, as this is a fair and truthful assessment of my writing style…I rant – it is the second best thing I do after designing – I rant. Or could it have been the words “uncomfortable peek?” Definitely not… I came through the training camp of Ms. Uncomfortable Peek herself – Madonna… So that definitely isn’t it…

What could it be??? Was I afraid of criticism???

Maybe it was the comment I received from a subscriber in Jamaica that read “Boi, you got issues?” Think carefully Malcolm… Could this be the root??? Of course not, I took care of that with a one line response: “You damn right I got issues, but luckily I also have solutions…”

Bingo!!! I think I just got it!!! In the words of the All Mighty O! (Oprah for those of you who refuse to drink of the kool-aid) “A light bulb moment!”
GOOGLE ANALYTICS!!!

On Friday, I had the great fortune (if not misfortune) of finally taking a look at our Google Analytics report – and there it was - - - OUR VISITORS CHART. Technically it was our "view reports"… As soon as the results popped onto the screen my Brazilian intern, Lana, was jumping up and down and seemed to be very excited about something… I didn’t have a clue as to what I was looking at… Lana, on the other hand was very familiar with this chart as she fancies herself as some sort of self-taught blogging aficionado. You see Lana has been keeping her own personal blog entitled “For – NY” (http://lanaarraes.blogspot.com/) reporting on her adventures here in New York City . I don’t have the heart to tell her that it should read – “From – NY”. But according to her our chart was "bery, bery good!!!" I have to take her word for it...


Well according to “Google Analytics” we now have a very strong following and of course this must be where the “blogger’s block” stems from… The pressure to perform… The pressure to keep our viewers entertained, engaged and compelled to come back… So unknowningly I have hopped out of the frying pan and into the hot burning fire of expectation… But wait… I am a fashion designer - I am in the business of performing on cue. So that definitely can’t be it…

Okay let’s freely meander…

When I first started this blog I believed that I would channel Carrie Bradshaw, minus the whole sex thing and the four slutty, I mean carefree, friends… Don’t get me wrong, I love the girls in real life especially as we have a friend/supporter in common – Patricia Field – but that is a blog unto itself (someone remind to come back to good old Pat Field in the near future)… But I thought that I would have all of the these daily challenges and adverntures that would I then write about - very Ms. Bradshaw... Right??? Wrong!!! Instead, I find myself meandering about having writer's block… What could this all mean???


That’s it!!! Light bulb moment number two…
My blogger’s block doesn’t come from just one single thing, it comes from an array, an assortment, a culmination if you will, of little things. These little things that somehow form a blockage to the passageway of creativity and original thought. How do I break through???

Usually when I have these sorts of days when designing I treat myself to a day at the museum: except on Mondays (all the museum and/or great galleries are closed on Monday). On Mondays I substitute it for visits to either of my two favorite haunts: Pastis in the Meatpacking District or La Goulue on the Upper East Side (they for me are the equivalent of Holly Golightly's Tiffany's). Each are out of my daily budget but well worth it for a breakthrough…




Now that I believe I've reached the end of today’s post, as well as had a major breakthrough, I realize that blogger’s block is just like every other obstacle in life... You just have to find a way to write, talk, design, paint, sculpt, dance, walk, kick or dream your way through it… And believe me when I tell you this - what stands on the other side of the block is something completely unexpected and new…



Until we "meander" and/or "blog" again…

p.s. You must check out the entire article referenced above on The Business of Fashion blog spot(http://uberkid.typepad.com/fashionbusiness/). I must admit that it is one of my favorite interviews to date. I truly do believe that the gentleman that operates this site is a complete genius. I would advise you all to subscribe if you are seriously interested in learning more about The Business of Fashion…



2 comments:

SUPAHERODRE said...

I don't think you have writers block. Everything you say has meaning and touches someones life.
It was a pleasure and a joy running into you and Stella. Malcolm keep up the GREAT work. Our culture and the world needs you and your message. Designers For Darfur (wonderful) your collection MalSirrah(amazing)

I love you and support you 100%
Andre J.

Unknown said...

Thanks for adding me Malcolm! It was so nice meeting you at Nina's. I've been waaaay behind on blogging...have been working around the clock. Hope you're well!